Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Adventures of Timothy and Thumbalina

Yet again, on this rainy Tuesday evening, I sit here typing out my feelings. I considered today in my history class how no matter how bored you think you are, there is always something to do. There is always a new adventure. With enough creativity and imagination, any situation you’re in can become fun. In my own opinion, you’re never ever too old to have a new adventure.
Whether it’s simply writing a story or talking to somebody you don’t normally even look at, the possibilities are endless. Doodling out a story or coming up with a new fad for only you to follow can be loads of fun. I’ve been in school for over a decade now, and I still find endless new ways to have adventures with whatever I do. Even in a non-educational place, such as a subway or bus or avenue or store, you can find ways to have fun.

Try on crazy outfits.
Take random pictures of the most random things you find.
People watch (my personal favorite)
Think up a story about some random person you see.
Write that story down.
Take pictures of crazy signs.
Play games.
Whatever you decide to do, have fun and stay safe. Don’t do anything life threatening or illegal. Today in my history class drew a little man named Timothy. The bell rang to go to my math class before I had the opportunity to do anything creative with him. However, in math, I created:
 The Adventures of Timothy and Thumbalina
     Once upon a time, there was a boy named Timothy. He lived a very bland life, the life any normal stick man lives. He didn’t meet new people very often, and he didn’t have many friends. He lived in a subdivision in Stenoville on Loose Leaf Lane. His mother had always been protective over Timothy; she never allowed him to leave Loose Leaf Lane or go to public school. He grew up a shy, lonely boy. When he had finally had enough of this isolation, he told his mother, “Mom, I need to see the world. I may be back one day, but I need to find adventure outside of this silly town. All I’ve ever known are the same stick people and the same house, and I need change! Bye, Mom. I love you.” With those final words, he left his house, Stenoville, and everything else he had ever known. He trekked across pages and pages, not finding anything but blank sheets. He grew very, very bored. Just when he started to think that he should turn around and start back home, a miraculous thing had happened. The ground beneath Timothy started to shake, and almost instantly, a bright light blinded him! He didn’t know what to think for a while, but eventually his eyes adjusted to the light. When he could finally see, there was a big, tan appendage standing beside him. He had never seen anything like it before; he tried to hide, but there weren’t any places to hide on a blank sheet of paper. He thought to himself : This is what you wanted. You wanted adventure Timothy, so now you have a big adventure standing right in front of you! Don’t be a stiff! Approach that big appendage!  With those words of self-encouragement, he approached the big, tan appendage with shaky knees and introduced himself.
   “Hi. I’m Timothy.”  
    Startled to hear a stickman talk, the big, tan finger could only murmur, “Hi. I’m Thumbalina. How are you today?”
    Wow, Timothy thought to himself, this isn’t so bad! Maybe we could have adventures together! Maybe Thumbalina will be my friend! “I’m quite well today, thank you! I don’t mean to impose, but I’ve run away from home in search of adventure. I was wondering if you’d like to participate in those adventures!” said Timothy to the giant thumb. 
    “What a coincidence?! I, as well, am in search of adventure and what could be more adventurous than a stickman and thumb befriending one another,” replied Thumbalina, desperate for any thing exciting in the midst of the boring math class she was stuck in at the moment.
      “Friends? Oh yes! Ahem, Friends. Yes, Let’s be friends!” said Timothy, thankful to finally making his first friend ever. The two had numerous adventures. Thumbalina told Timothy of the time she had drawn him in her notebook one day in English class. They shared adventures and became the best of friends. Timothy told Thumbalina everything that had happened in Stenoville while the notebook had been closed, and Thumbalina listened. None of that seemed to matter anymore though. They had found each other now, and that’s what counted. Thumbalina doodled all kinds of adventures for Timothy. She drew stairs to take Timothy up to a view she had drawn him of trees and lakes and animals. After seeing what she had drawn just for him, he hugged Thumbalina and exclaimed, “You’re the best!”
Thumbalina was so happy that she had drawn him. She had not ever imagined that a stick man she had drawn months ago could be such a good friend to a thumb like her! She told him, “Timothy! I am so happy that you were here with me to have all of these adventures! You are the best friend I could ever have, and I know we haven’t known each other long, but you’re the best drawing I’ve ever drawn, but I have bad news.”
     “What’s the bad news, Thumbalina?”
     “School is about to let out. I have to close my notebook in a few minutes and get ready to go home. I’ll draw you a hot air balloon to take you home, though. I won’t leave you all alone on this page full of blank adventures.”
Thumbalina quickly drew Timothy a hot air balloon, and with a heavy heart, placed Timothy into the basket. As he started to float back to his page, he grabbed Thumbalina by the hand and cried, “I don’t wanna leave!” Thumbalina didn’t want to leave Timothy, but she felt like there was no other choice! Where else could she put Timothy where he would be happy and talked to? She considered in silence for a moment as Timothy begged her not to send him back to Loose Leaf Lane. Just then, she hatched an idea! She snatched Timothy out of the hot air balloon and brought him to the cover of her notebook.
“You’re my best friend! I want to stay with you!” Timothy told her, getting worried that he may never see his best friend again.
She placed him down and told him, “There! Now I can see you, and you can see the world! You’re my best friend, and now you can have the adventures you deserve!”
They hugged, the bell rang, and they went on their way. They headed off to their home, where they could have endless adventures together! They lived happily ever, best friends forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment