Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Realizations

            Bringing in the New Year has such a nice feeling to it, doesn't it? Knowing that you have a whole new slate to start on can be refreshing. You finally have a chance, after 365 days, to renew yourself and have a new beginning. Whether sitting on a couch watching the “Big Ball” in New York City drop or partying your heart out, making it to a new year is an extremely exciting thing. It’s a sign to let go of the past year’s issues and drama, and start a positive new chapter, appropriately named 2011.
            As a conclusion to 2010, I had this crazy idea to rekindle old flames. I decided, gift in hand, to make peace with old enemies. This thought, unlike popular belief, is not a good idea. I have aforementioned this enemy as evil and I had no real business going to her with a peacemaking heart, but Christmas Spirit always gets me. All in all, our small talk ended in loud, hate-filled words as I got in the car to leave her property, never to return. I realized, in that moment, that even though Christmas may be about forgiveness and miracles, the New Year is about letting go and starting anew. Even though letting go may seem too hard to be the right choice, it is in most situations. Instead of letting your heart break over what won’t ever be, look ahead at what’s to come. There’s always something new, thank God.
            In the time it’s taken me to realize this incredible fact, it takes me 30 minutes to type it all out to be read around the world. No matter what popular belief may say, it takes more strength to let go of something than it does to be still and allow it to go on. In the years you may have the strength to let something go on, no matter how much it breaks your heart, letting go and beginning a new chapter takes more bravery. I’ve realized that sometimes people don’t change, and sometimes things don’t work out the way you’d like. Every once in a while, it’ll take you doing something you don’t want to do to get you where you need to be. Starting a new blank page, a new year, takes more strength than continuing the old one.
            Alternatively, I’ve also learned that sometimes it takes being still to learn anything. To really listen takes more patience than coming up with a comeback. To wait rather that tearing everything up in search of an answer is wiser. In my own experience, the time I sat and listened has had the most effect. “Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent”; no truer words have been spoken. (Proverbs 17:28; if you’d like a reference)
            I don’t normally make New Year’s Resolutions. I never tend to keep mine, so I save myself. However, this year is the year of exceptions, I fear. My new year’s promise to me is this: Know when to let go; know when to keep quiet, and to learn when to speak up. I pray to the Great Helper to guide me in this intense resolution. I will work all the time at this resolution in hopes that I keep it. In keeping this resolution, I will gain grace.
With the warmest heart, I wish you many more new years, new friends, new blessings, new experiences, and new thoughts.

think about it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment